Enquiries - School Office 01843 834431
Faith . Courage . Confidence . Service
Enquiries - School Office 01843 834431

Physical Education

Key Stage 3

The PE curriculum at Key Stage 3 consists of year 7, 8 and 9.

All students in Year 7 and 8 will receive 4 hours of high quality Physical Education over two weeks.

All students in Year 9 will receive 2 hours of recreational Physical Education over two weeks.

The focus of Physical Education at Ursuline is to offer the students a broad curriculum where they can experience a range of different sports developing their skills, technique and tactics. We aim to develop the student as a whole, working on team skills, problem solving, performing at maximum levels, communication and resilience.

EverydayIsaChance

At Ursuline there is a big emphasis on health and well being and leading an active and healthy lifestyle. This is achieved through making the lessons fun and enjoyable with pupil participation and engagement at the forefront of any lesson. Students are expected to bring their PE kit to every lesson. If students are unwell or injured they are expected to bring a note from home to explain why they can’t take part practically and still bring in their kit so that they can take part in a number of additional sport related roles such as officiating and coaching. Spare kit is available for students to borrow if they forget their kit however if this becomes a regular occurrence students will be issued break, lunch or after school detentions.

In year 7 and 8 students will take part in Football, Rugby, Netball, Basketball, Badminton, Dodgeball, Sportshall Athletics, Indoor Rowing,  Trampolining, Volleyball, Handball, Fitness, OAA, Team Building, Climbing, Cricket, Rounders, Tennis, Stoolball  and Athletics.

In year 9 students will take part in recreational PE with the focus on pupil engagement and enjoyment. The lessons will consist of a mixture between intra-house competitions in a range of different games activities and options where student’s choice an activity that they would like to take part in for a term

Students also have the opportunity to take part in these activities as an extra-curricular club and have the opportunity to represent the college in a number of sporting fixtures throughout the year.

Key Stage 4

Aims of the course.

Btec

 

Students studying this course will undertake both theory and practical lessons. The theory lessons will support them with the coursework and exam element of the course.

 

Course ContentSpecification

Students studying this course will complete four units of the specification titled;

Course guide

  • Unit 1: Fitness for Sport and Exercise
  • Unit 2: Practical Performance in Sport
  • Unit 3: Applying the Principles of Personal Training
  • Unit 5: The Sports Performer in Action

 

 

Assessment

First in sport

 

 

 

 

 

Students will complete four units of work, three of which are mandatory and one optional specialist unit. The three mandatory units consist of Unit 1, 2 and 3 which are assessed using different methods. Unit 1 is an External Exam, Unit 2 Internal coursework and Unit 3 is an internal synoptic assessment. Students will need to achieve a minimum of a Level 2 Pass in each of the four units to gain a Level 2 qualification. If students do not meet the criteria for a Level 2 Pass they will have the opportunity to gain a Level 1 Qualification.

 

The externally assessed unit will be assessed through the completion of a 1 hour examination featuring multiple choice and short answer questions.  This will account for 25% of the overall grade. The remaining 75% of the grade will be given through submission of coursework through assignments attached to each unit.

 

Students successfully completing the course will achieve the equivalent of one GCSE grade.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What follows it in Ursuline 6th form?

At Sixth Form there is an opportunity to study sport at Level 3 BTEC.

Qualification &

Careers

This course will enable students to progress to University and Further Education to study a range of courses which can lead to careers in teaching, sport science, physiotherapy, sports coaching, leisure industry, sports photography, apprenticeships or other vocational training courses.

 

 

 The following website address offers more in depth information on this course:

 

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/btec-firsts/sport-2012-nqf.html#tab-4